There is nothing like the unconditional love of a pet to enrich your life. Dogs can add meaning and perspective to our daily existence. They can provide companionship and friendship. We hope you’ll experience these wonders when you adopt a pet. However, adoption also means taking responsibility for their well-being, health, and safety. If you’re ready to make that commitment, we encourage you to adopt a pet from the City of Levelland.
Want to Adopt a Dog?How can you adopt a dog from the animal shelter?
- In order to adopt a dog from the City of Levelland, please contact the Levelland Police Department at 806.894.6164 to set up an appointment with an Animal Warden to see which dogs or cats are available for adoption.
- The Animal Shelter is located at 109 Commerce Street in the Levelland Industrial Rail Park and is open from 9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. An interview will be required prior to the finalization of adoption to ensure the animals are going home to a friendly environment.
- Required vaccinations and registration of the animal are needed in order to adopt. Animal registrations are seem through the City Hall department. For more questions, contact the Police Department at 806.894.6164. The department is open 7-days a week from 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
- View available pets
How Much Does it Cost to Adopt?
- There is no direct cost to adopt a dog. However, dogs must be vaccinated and registered with the City of Levelland within 90 days of adoption. Please see the City of Levelland Dog Ordinance for further information.
Who Can Adopt?
- A person who is 18 years of age or older who has never been convicted of a violation of the City of Levelland Dog Ordinance may adopt. Please understand that this is an adoption, not a sale. The Levelland Police Department reserves the right to refuse any adoption based on the best interest of the dog.
Are There Medical Risk?
- Anytime you adopt an animal from any animal shelter, there is a certain medical risk. Each dog is physically assessed when it is admitted and is monitored while at the shelter. However, an animal may be incubating a disease at the time of admission or adoption without showing any signs of disease. Please keep in mind that these animals are not vaccinated while in the care of the animal shelter. This will be the sole responsibility of the adopter. Should a dog be taken to a veterinarian and found to be in poor health, the City of Levelland will allow the adopter to return the dog to the Animal Shelter. However, the City of Levelland is not responsible for any cost that may have been inquired while at the veterinarian.